Thandai is a drink mostly served on Holi day towards north of India. Thandai masala powder is very easy to prepare at home. Thandai is basically a dry nuts and few spices powder which is add to milk and served chilled.
It is close to Maharastrian Masale Doodh which is served on kojagiri Pournima.
You can add this thandai powder to your bakes and dessert for unique flavor.
You can adjust the ingredients as per your taste and skip a ingredient if you don’t have that readily available.
Makes: About 1/2 cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
You will need:
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 6-7 whole black peppercorns
- 10-15 whole green cardamoms
- 1/2 tbsp white poppy seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp melon seeds
- 1/2 tsp of saffron
- 1 tbsp dry rose petals
- Peel the cardamom pods and reserve the seeds.
- Grind all the ingredients, plus cardamom seeds to fine powder. Do not overgrind the nuts, otherwise they will turn into nut butter.
- Store the prepared powder at room temperature in airtight container up to a week.
- To make Thandai: Add 2 tbsp of thandai powder to 1 cup of milk, sugar as per taste. Get it to boil and then let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Cool completely and refrigerate thandai for 2-3 hours. Strain the thandai before serving.
- If desired add few drops of rose water and serve chilled.