Barnyard millet/ Samo rice with potato curry
These is a gluten free meal. It is mostly eaten when fasting. My mom used to allow us to eat Varicha Bhaat and Usal only if we were fasting otherwise we would be served regular food. I used to fast just for the meal. 😊 But, you don’t have to fast to enjoy this delicious meal.
Vari/samo/barnyard millet has a similar texture to rice and cooks just like rice. It’s actually a seed not a grain.You can use vari instead of Couscous and you can also make pudding or upma with Vari rice.
This rice is not as starchy as our regular rice, so it’s best eaten with a curry.
For vegan free alternatives, use ground nut oil, peanut oil, or coconut oil for cooking the rice and curry.
Anyone who has a peanut allergy can use almonds or cashews instead of peanuts.
You will need:
Cooking time for Vari rice: 15 minutes
Prep and cook time for Usal : 25 minutes
For Vari Bhaat:
- 1 cup vari rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee/ groundnut oil/peanut oil
- 1 green chili cut into small pieces
- 7-8 raw peanuts ( optional )
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt as per taste
- 1 medium size potato cut to small pieces
- 1/4 cup ground unsalted peanut powder
- Raw peanuts that are soaked overnight (optional)
- 4 green chilies
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt as per taste
Method for Vari Bhaat:
- Wash Vari rice, just like regular rice until the water gets clear and set aside.
- In a medium size sauce pan, add ghee. To the ghee, add in cumin seeds and cut green chilies and peanuts. Roast for few seconds.
- Add in washed Vari rice. Roast for few minutes while stirring continuously. Add in water, let it come to a simmer close with a lid and let cook for 10-12 minutes.
Method for Batata Usal:
- Roast 1/4 cup of raw peanuts, then cool them and coarse grind.
- Make a paste out of ground peanuts, grated coconut, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, and 3 green chilies.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, cook for few seconds. Add soaked peanuts, 1 chopped green chili and chopped potatoes. Cook until potatoes are cooked.
- Now add the peanuts’ paste and mix well. Add 1 cup of water. Let the curry come to a boil.
- Serve with Varicha Bhaat.