Chiffon cake is the American version of genoise or sponge cake. It’s much easier to make compared to French genoise and it holds its shape better. It’s much more moist and less crumbly. Plus, they are richer in flavor because of a higher ratio of eggs and oil used, unlike their close cousins, Angel Food Cake. The Angel Food Cake is fat-free and gets its moistness from a high amount of sugar. I always use a sheet of chiffon cake to make a Yule log cake. You can use a regular pan to make the layered cake.
Eggs whites whip best at room temperature and you will get a better volume compared to whites whipped when they are cold.
You will need:
- 1 cup+2 tbsp (155g ) All purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g ) Sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml ) vegetable oil, sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil
- 3 Large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup+1 tbsp ( 80 ml) Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 5 Large ( 150 ml) egg whites
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (162 C). Line the bottom of a sheet pan with parchment paper. There’s no need to grease the sides of the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar to the yolk mix, reserving 3 tablespoons of sugar for egg whites.
- Make a well in the flour mix, add the yolk mixture and whisk thoroughly to make a lump-free, smooth mix.
- Place the egg whites in the large mixing bowl of a stand mixture with whisk attachment, beat on medium until frothy. Add the lemon juice and beat on medium-high speed until the whites holds a soft peak.
- Add 3 tbsp of sugar slowly and beat on high speed until the whites hold firm but shiny peaks (when you turn a bowl upside the egg whites should not fall from the bowl).
- Using a rubber spatula, scoop 1/3rd of egg whites in the yolk mixture and fold in gently to lighten the batter. Gently fold in the remaining whites just until combined. Don’t over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake the cake until a cake tester or a toothpick inserted comes on clean. About 20 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack. Decorate as per your tastes.
- Store it well wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for upto 1 month. Bring the cake to room temperature before rolling it.