Brittle is an easy recipe to make around holiday session. They make an excellent snack. You can use jaggery instead of sugar too.
It’s a quick recipe to make and it comes together in no time. You won’t have time to measure anything while preparing the recipe, though.
Keep a close eye on the sugar so that it doesn’t burn. Don’t be tempted to increase the flame.
Yields: 10 pieces
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
You will need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cashew
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 tbsp pistachio
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of saffron strands
- Rolling pin (greased)
- Tray greased
How to proceed:
- Prepare a counter top or a back of a tray by greasing it.
- Half the cashews and almonds.
- Lightly toast the cashews and almonds together. Separately toast the pistachio and pumpkin seeds and keep them aside.
- In a shallow pan, heat the sugar on low flame. Do not stir the sugar until you see the sugar melting on the edges.
- The sugar is done once the sugar melts completely and gets a golden amber color. This will take about 10-12 minutes. Add cashew and almond to the dissolved caramel.
- Quickly move the mix on the prepared tray or counter top and flatten the mix with the help of rolling pin.
- Press the pistachio, saffron and pumpkin seeds and roll them with the help of a rolling pin so they stay in place.
- Score the brittle with a knife into the desired size. Let it cool completely and then break the pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in between layers of parchment paper for upto 2 weeks.