I really enjoy the last quarter of the year. Fall is in the air and the house smells divine with all the aromas of Diwali Faral (Snacks). Living outside India has its own perks, in addition to all Indian festivals we also celebrate American festivals too. Halloween, Dassera, Diwali, Thanksgiving and Christmas…from October onwards till end of December, these are my happy months.
Diwali’s festivities won’t be complete without besan ladoo. It’s a very simple sweet to make and it melts in your mouth. These ladoos also have an excellent shelf life.
Traditionally, until today, I roast the split channa dal over medium-low flame until it’s aromatic and completely cool, then course grind it. This way you ensure the freshness of the flour and you end up with better tasting ladoos.
If you would like to follow the traditional method rather than use store-bought flour, the additional step will be to roast 4 cups of dal until it’s aromatic, cool completely and then coarse grind.
If you don’t have time to make your own flour. Ladoo besan is readily available in all Indian stores.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||25 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
You will need:
- 2 1/4 cup Besan ladoo flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 3 tbsp of chopped nuts for garnish
- In a thick bottom pan on medium flame, roast the besan flour with 1-2 tbsp of ghee until it’s aromatic about 10-15 minutes. Roast until you can smell a nutty aroma.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of flour aside.
- Add ghee one tbsp at a time and mix well, check for the consistency and roast additional for 5-10 minutes. The batter will be very runny.
- Add powdered sugar and mix well. You will see that the batter is getting thicker and will start to pull from the sides.
- If you think the batter is very runny you can add the reserved flour to the pan.
- Add cardamom, nutmeg powder and 1 tbsp of chopped nuts.
- Switch the flame off and let it cool. As the mixture cools down, it will start to thicken.
- Start making 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls when the mixture is easy to handle, but not completely cool.
- If the mixture solidifies, warm the ladoo mixture of Verghese flame for few minutes and start molding the ladoos again.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool and dry place. The ladoos can be stored at room temperature for upto a month.