Falafel is a Middle Eastern dish which is made Garbanzo or Fava beans. They are crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. Falafel is similar to Indian fried dal vadas just with the exception of parsley. Falafel makes an excellent appetizer. It can be served in a wrap. Falafel is a good option for vegetarians because it doesn’t have meat in it.
To make the Falafel light and airy, do not use canned cooked garbanzos beans.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
You will need:
- 1 cup dry chickpeas /Garbanzos
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp mint
- 1 tbsp minced ginger- garlic
- 3 Tbsp chickpeas flour/ besan
- 1 1/4 tsp cumin/ jeera powder
- 1 tbsp coriander/ dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- oil for frying
- Soak the chickpeas in 6-7 cups of water for at least 10-12 hrs, overnight is recommended.
- Drain all the water and pat the chickpeas dry.
- Course grind all the ingredients without adding water in a food processor or grinder. Do not grind it into a smooth paste. Pulse the mixer 10-15 times.
- Make 1” round balls.
- Deep fry the falafel on a medium flame until it becomes golden brown. Do not crowd the frying pan. It should take about 4-5 minutes to get that golden brown color.
- Serve with your favorite Greek dip.