Frankly speaking, there won’t be a single Maharastrian household which won’t eat Shrikhand Puri on Dassara or Gudi Padwa. Traditionally, it would be served at weddings and most celebrations.
Shrikhand is one of the oldest sweets from India and it is from the state of Maharashtra. This is a very simple dessert, with two main ingredients: yogurt and sugar.
Today, we are making Amrakhand which is a strained mango flavored yogurt. It’s very close to Greek sweet labneh which is sweetened with honey.
Once you to strain excess water out of yogurt, it’s an blank slate.
You can make this dessert well in advance. It stays in refrigerator for 2 days and can be frozen up to 3 months. If you choose to freeze your Amrakhand, make sure to move it into your refrigerator a night before serving it.
You see best result with homemade yogurt. You can use Greek yogurt instead. Fresh mangoes are best for making this dessert because canned sweetened mangoes will add extra moisture and has added sugar in it.
If fresh mango is not available you may use frozen mango from the freezer section of a local super market or freeze dried mango powder. Alphonso mangoes are the best for this recipe because of their unique taste and saffron color.
Amrakhand tastes excellent frozen over an ice cream cone. It is a healthier replacement for ice cream.
|Yields||1 1/2 cups|
|Prep time||8-10 hrs|
You will need:
- 3 cups of whole milk yogurt/ Greek yogurt
- 1/3cup of granulated sugar/powdered sugar
- 1 fresh mango/ 1/2 cup pulp
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Nuts for garnish (optional)
- Muslin cloth
- Place the yogurt in the muslin cloth and hang it for 8-10 hrs. Overnight is preferred.
- For fresh mango, peel and take the pulp out and mash it with a help of a fork or with a handheld blender.
- If using a frozen mango, run it frozen mango through a blender. Do not defrost it.
- Take the yogurt in a bowl and whisk it, until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the mango pulp to the yogurt and whisk them well. Gradually, add the sugar. You might not need all the sugar depending on the sweetness of your mango.
- Add cardamom powder and garnish the Amrakhand with your choice of nuts.
- Serve chilled with Puris or have it plain.