This my second masala for the masala series. This masala not only thickens the gravy but imparts it’s flavor to enhance the ingredients.
You can use this masala for making usals, meat, and fish. It goes best with all the shellfish gravies, especially crab curry.
Yields: 1/2 cup
Cook time: 5 minutes
You will need:
- 1 medium sized onion
- Half of a dried coconut
How to proceed:
- Remove the skin from the onion.
- Place the onion on the burner.
- Keep rotating the onion periodically so it is evenly charred on all sides.
- Place half of the dry coconut on the burner. Same way as the onion.
- Once the coconut is charred evenly, let the onion and coconut cool completely.
- Chop the coconut and onion into small pieces.
- Grind the coconut and then add the chopped onion to the coconut and grind again. Do not add any water. The onion has enough moisture to bind it all together. The masala should be course.
The masala can stay in the refrigerator for 8-10 days. And 3 months in the freezer.