Chicken Kofta Curry is basically meat balls simmered in an onion and tomato based gravy. The koftas are infused with the flavors of the curry when they are cooked together. I like to shallow fry the kofta before adding it to the gravy, which gives them a crunchy texture on the outside. You can serve fully cooked Koftas as an appetizer too. Traditionally, the koftas are cooked directly in the gravy without shallow frying.
India is a reflection of so many cultures in which each invader brought with them unique foods of their own lands. Now it reflects in our lifestyle, art, architecture and even in food: Persian, British, Portuguese, French, etc. They all bought there food with them which was further modified with Indian spices and now its an integral part of Indian cuisine. Kofta curry is one of those Persian recipe.
Koftas can be chicken, mutton, pork, or beef or even combination of different meat.
Makes for 5
Gravy prep and cook time: 40 mins
koftas prep and cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 60 minutes
You will need:
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 1 tbsp green raisins
- 1/2 tbsp Kasoori methi
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin / jeera powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri chill powder
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp oil ( 2 tbsp for cooking all ingredients and 2 tbsp for tempering)
- 1/2 tbsp of garam masala.
- 2 tbsp of cream-Optional
- 1 tsp Khus Khus/poppy seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds for tempering
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- Salt as per taste.
For chicken koftas: Makes 12 medium size koftas
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 whole egg
- 1 green chill minced
- 1 small shallot minced
- 4-5 cashews Paste
- 2 -3 tbsp of oil for shallow frying.
- 4-5 tbsp of bread crumbs
- 1 small boiled and mashed potato
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 12 raisins
Soak the Cashews for half and hour and make a paste out of them. You may use a mortar and pestle too.
How to proceed with the Kofta curry:
- Chop onion and tomato.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the pan. Add onion, sauté till it’s soft and translucent.
- Add cashews, raisins, ginger, garlic, Khuskhus and sesame seeds, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, coriander powder and, cumin powder cover with a lid and cook another 10minutes on low flame.
- Add half cup of water and cook 10 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Once cool completely grind into smooth paste.
While the curry is cooling, you can make koftas.
Add 2 tbsp of bread crumbs In the ground chicken. Reserve rest of the bread crumbs for coating the koftas.
Add mash potato, and Mix all the ingredients accept raisins mentioned under kofta.
Make small 2” patties, put a raisin inside each patty and coat with bread crumbs and keep aside.
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in shallow pan and shear the patties on each side till they are golden brown.
1-2 minute on each side, Keep aside.The patties will further cook in the gravy.
Putting it together:
On medium heat, set a pan with 2 tbsp of oil. Add cumin seeds, once the seeds splatter add Kasoori Methi and then the gravy paste. Stir well
Add 1/2 a cup of water, let it simmer for 5 min.
Lower the flame and add yogurt.
Add the chicken koftas, cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in garam masala and garnish with cilantro.
Add cream to finish. Kofta curry is ready, enjoy with naan or roti.