I had this curry several times at my mangalorean friends’ homes, it was usually served with rotti or neer dosa. Especially my best friend’s, Shobha, place. Where her mom used to feed me as if I were her own.I lost contact with Shobha over the years because of my constant moves. I think of her everyday, someday I will get in touch with her again.
This is a very simple chicken curry which needs only a few ingredients and you can make the curry paste beforehand and then freeze it. This will cut your cooking time in half.
Yield: 4-5 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
You will need:
- 1 Whole chicken cut to small pieces, about 2 pounds
- 1 Medium size onion- chopped
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Cup water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 6-7 curry leaves
- salt as per taste.
For Masala Paste:
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 Cup chopped onion
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Tsp Whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 Tsp Methi/ feringreek Seeds
- 1 Tbsp of ghee
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp of Garam masala powder
- 1 Tbsp Poppy seeds/ Khus khus
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste/ pulp
- 6 Red chilies ( combination of badgyi and Kashmiri chilies)
Badgyi chilies are spicy and Kashmiri chilies are used more for color. If you like to eat spicy you can reduce Kashmiri mirch and add more badgyi. Or, you can reduce spice by increasing Kashmiri chilies.
Add ghee in the pan and set on medium flame. Sauté 1/4 cup of onion till they are soft.
Add grated coconut, cumin, black peppercorns, methi , coriander, Khus khus seeds roast for 10 minutes.
Add garlic and red chilies, roast for another 5 minutes.
Mixture should look golden brown.
Cool completely then grind with water and tamarind pulp to smooth paste.
I make my own coconut milk at home. you can use canned milk.
If making coconut milk at home:
1 cup of fresh coconut.
When using frozen coconut defrost in microwave for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup of water and grind to a paste. It will look like a milk shake.
Strain the paste through muslin cloth.
Coconut milk is ready. You can freeze it for 3-4 months ; defrost and use.
How to proceed:
- Heat oil in pan. Add curry leaves and chopped onion, sauté till golden brown.
- Add chicken and fry for 2 minutes.
- Than add masala paste, salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cups of water, cover and cook till chicken is done.
- Once the chicken is cooked completely. Lower the flame add garam masala and coconut milk. Stir and switch the flame off.
The authentic way to enjoy the curry is with Rotti or Neer dosa. You can enjoy the curry with plan rice too. I served it with Maharashtra dosa , Ghavana.
Don’t forget to leave a comment if you like this recipe.