Sabudana/ sago/tapioca is not a grain. It’s a starch from the pith of tropical palm stem. Which is processed and dried in form of pearls. Sabudana is a staple in Indian household as fasting food.
sabudana papad are very easy to make and can be stored up to a year. Kids love them as a snack, instead of chips you can fry and store the papad in air tight container for a week.
they can be a companion for lonely dal- Chawal Or fasting snack. You need just 3 ingredients to make this papad.
You will need:
- 1 cup sabudana pearls. I prefer the small or medium size
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp Jeera seeds/ cumin
- 1 tsp salt
How to proceed:
- Soak sabudana in water for 6-7 hrs.
- Drain all water out , cover the bowl and rest for 2 more hours. When you press the sago pearl, shouldn’t feel hard to touch. If not, them sprinkle water on top and let it rest for an hour.
- Add salt to sabudana pearls. Meanwhile oil the idli molds and arrange Sabudana in single layer. Sprinkle jeera on top.
- steam for 15 minutes. Till sabudana looks transparent.
- Cool completely and take them out on plastic sheet or clean plate.
- Repeat the process with rest of the sago pearls.
- Dry them in doors for few hours and than under direct sunlight for 2-3 days.
- Store them in air tight container for future use.