Phirni is one of the few desserts which needs just three ingredients. This is especially important, in this lockdown where food is scarce. This is a quick dessert to make. Phirni is a North of Indian dish. It’s a dense version of Kheer (Rice pudding), made with coarse, ground rice. Best served chilled in clay pots. It’s a must for Diwali and Holi up North.
Cuisine : Indian
Cook time : 30 minutes
Prep time : 30 minutes
Yield : 6 servings
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 2 tbsp Basmati rice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3-4 pods of cardamoms Or 1tsp of cardamom powder.
- few strands of Saffron (optional)
- chopped nuts for garnish
- Soak rice in the water for 20 minutes. Drain the rice and let the rice dry on a paper towel for 10 minutes.
- Coarse grind the rice without water.
- Get milk to a boil, than add the coarse ground rice and stir constantly, making sure there are no lumps.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, add sugar and cardamom powder.
- Mixture should be the constancy of pancake batter.
- Scoop the Phirni into individual clay pots. Garnish with nuts and saffron.
- Serve chilled
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and let me know how it turned out.